Changing identities

Sometimes you hit a point with your logo where, no matter what, you realize something isn't working. After critiques from the art directors in Colombia, it was pointed out that my mark was missing some form of uniqueness. In an attempt to make my mark unique, I added the secondary attachments that I talked about in my last post. 

After further discussion with professors, I realized the mark didn't carry enough weight on the page. It held absolutely no presence, commanded no attention, and lacked a sense of hierarchy when placed on the page. I think that, when placed in the pattern, a presence was created on the page and that's why it worked in that setting.

But, instead of playing around with the mark further, I decided to completely abandon the original mark and go in a direction with a frame and the text knocked out in reverse. After analyzing hand painted signs and signs on gates that marked the entry point to different gardens around Rome, I went in this direction:

I think what makes this mark more successful is it has weight on the page while maintaining a sense of classical modernism. There are still a few things wrong with the mark, there are some weird issues going on with weight balance on the strokes of the swirls that need correcting, as well as a few problems with the kerning on the typeface. 

I wanted to incorporate my elements from my previous logo so I could keep some of what I had already created. I still need to work a little on changing my colors so they print better, but I am much happier with this new mark.