We started this portion of the project by doing quick sketches for an hour during class time. This was meant to get initial thoughts out on the table so they could be forgotten. These are the ideas and symbols that we immediately gravitate toward.
After that, I started in depth brand thinking with a mind map to generate a list of words that would act as brand attributes as well as create ideas for symbols or words used in logo creation and further application development.
Initial sketches played around with a single word mark produced an interesting mark combining letterforms, but it lacked to tell anything about the business:
From the word list, I felt that I could best represent this brand through three logos: a full, detailed logo, a word mark and a lettermark. These marks would have a delicate balance between acting as an image and acting as a word. Through research, I discovered that the "cornucopia" is derived from ancient Roman and Greek mythology. It is to serve as a symbol of bountiful harvest and abundance and nutrition. This works well in combination with the "C" letterform and the idea of rooftop gardens being the main focus of my business. It lends to an interesting idea between the symbol of growth, the springy-ness of a new plant, the horn of a cornucopia, and the beginning of the word "comunidae".
With the idea of a cornucopia acting as a letterform, I wanted to work with different ways to explore the image of a garden and it's vines. For this I added swirls growing as vines around the word "comunidae". Heavily influenced by Mucca and Louise Fili I started sketching different iterations of the typeface in various typefaces from Italian signage, letters, and packaging.
Upon further sketching in attempts to flesh out the word type further, I ran into several complications. The word lost a lot of the uniqueness as simple letterforms if it was a more mono weight modern interpretation of the typeface. If the typeface took a more delicate, contrasting-in-weight approach, it wouldn't work well when added into the garden mark. It also did not agree with itself to give more delicate touches and swirls in the mark.
After some thought and discussion, I decided to drop the full, detailed mark in favor of a more unique script that was modern in approach and completion with classical touches. It has flairs of French curves and sweetness in gentle curves of the letterforms with Italian attitude in the sprouts of growth coming off. It has a more modern approach in a mono-weight stroke, with minor adjustments to fix where the strokes meet at smaller sizes.
My next step is to further explore existing typefaces that can be manipulated to fit the mark i want to produce, then add my adjustments to create a uniqueness to the logo. After that I'm going to explore color variations in the logo and expand to include a pattern. I also need to determine fonts to use for further branding.